If you’ve recently been receiving calls from the toll-free number 1-800-353-5920, you’re probably wondering who keeps calling and if it’s some kind of scam. This number is associated with multiple companies and organizations, but scammers can also spoof 1-800 numbers to appear legitimate. This article will cover who might be calling from 1-800-353-5920, signs it could be a scam, and tips to stop unwanted calls.
Who is Calling from 1-800-353-5920? 1-800-353-5920 is a toll-free number that can be used by various companies and call centers. Some known organizations that use this number include:
- IRS impersonation scams demanding payment for back taxes
- Tech support scams claiming your computer has a virus
- Credit card and insurance companies trying to sell services
- Charities soliciting donations
- Banks verifying account information or attempting to collect debts
- Politicians and political groups conducting surveys
However, keep in mind that scammers often spoof legitimate 1-800 numbers to trick you into answering. It’s wise to be cautious anytime an unknown 1-800 number appears on your caller ID.
Red Flags It’s a Scam Call Here are some indicators a call from 1-800-353-5920 could be a scam:
- Recorded voice or robocall asking you to “press 1” to speak to an agent
- Caller asks for sensitive personal or financial information
- Threats of arrest or legal action if you do not pay fines immediately
- Request for upfront fees before delivering loans, prizes, or other promises
- Caller becomes hostile when questioned and insists you stay on the line
- You get repeated calls from the same 1-800 number even if you don’t engage
Steps to Stop Unwanted Calls from 1-800-353-5920 If you want to stop calls from 1-800-353-5920 as well as other spam callers, take these steps:
- Register your number on the FTC’s National Do Not Call Registry
- Use call blocking apps and set your phone to send unknown numbers to voicemail
- Ask your phone provider about available call screening and blocking tools
- Never provide personal information or engage with suspicious callers
- File complaints about illegal robocallers with the FTC and FCC
- Warn friends and family about current phone scams you encounter
Being proactive is the best way to protect yourself from annoying robocalls and potential scammers spoofing 1-800 numbers. Use available tools to block the calls and report illegal activities so these operations can be shut down. Carefully guard your personal information and disengage with any sketchy callers.
FAQs About 1-800-353-5920
Q: Is 1-800-353-5920 a telemarketer or scammer?
A: The number could be used by legitimate companies but also scammers spoofing a 1-800 number to appear credible. Use caution.
Q: How can I find out who really called me?
A: Ask detailed questions and do not provide personal information. Research the company name, number, and caller ID online.
Q: Can I stop calls permanently from 1-800-353-5920?
A: There is no foolproof way to stop all unsolicited calls. But using blocking tools and not engaging can reduce their frequency.
Q: What happens if I answer a call from 1-800-353-5920?
A: Do not provide any sensitive information. Hang up on suspicious or threatening callers and report them.
Q: Why am I getting so many robocalls?
A: Scammers and telemarketers use autodialers to make millions of random calls hoping to find victims. But you can take steps to protect yourself.