If the phone number 615-236-8788 has been showing up on your caller ID on a regular basis, it’s wise to be cautious. This number has been associated with numerous scams impersonating government agencies, businesses, and others in attempts to steal money or personal information. Read on to learn about common 615-236-8788 scam tactics and tips to stop unwanted calls.
Scam Calls Associated with 615-236-8788 While no legitimate organizations have been verified as using 615-236-8788, some typical scams linked to this number include:
- Fake debt collectors claiming you owe money on a non-existent debt and demanding immediate payment. They may threaten garnished wages or other legal action.
- IRS imposters alleging you owe back taxes and fees, demanding payment by gift card or cryptocurrency to avoid arrest or other penalties.
- Tech support scammers warning about viruses on your computer and offering to fix the issue remotely for a fee. Their real goal is to infect and access your device.
- Bank and credit card fraudsters trying to “verify” your account details in order to access your accounts and commit fraud.
- Fake Debt Collection – One of the most common scams involves callers claiming to be debt collectors demanding payment for a debt you don’t actually owe. They may threaten legal action or other repercussions if immediate payment isn’t made, often insisting on unusual payment methods like gift cards.
- Warranty Expiration Scams – Callers pose as representatives of auto makers or electronics companies claiming your vehicle or device warranty is expiring. They push victims to renew the fake extended warranty to maintain coverage.
- Health Insurance Scams – Scammers pretend to be from reputable health insurance companies and claim to need your personal information to process a refund or review records. This leads to identity theft.
- Loan Approval Scams – Victims are told they have been approved for a personal loan but must pay an upfront fee before funds are disbursed. The loan is fake and no money is ever advanced.Charity Scams – Callers falsely claim to represent real disaster relief organizations or other charities soliciting donations for fake causes or needing personal data to process a donation.
- Robocalls – Illicit robocalls use a variety of urgent messaging to prompt call backs regarding compromised accounts, prizes won, technical support offers, missed court dates, and other topics that result in financial scams.
Staying vigilant regarding these common tactics can help protect you from scams perpetrated through spoofed numbers like 615-236-8788. Do not provide sensitive information to any caller.
Red Flags It’s a Scam Call Here are some red flags that a call from 615-236-8788 is likely a scam:
- High-pressure tactics demanding immediate payments and threatening consequences if you don’t comply.
- Requests for odd payment types like gift cards, Bitcoin, pre-paid debit cards, MoneyPak, etc.
- Refusal to provide company name, callback number, mailing address or other verifying details.
- Caller becomes angry, abusive or threatens you if you question their motives.
- Robocalls urging you to “Press 1” to speak with an “agent” about an “important matter.”
How to Stop Calls from 615-236-8788 To protect yourself from scams using 615-236-8788 and reduce harassing calls, take these measures:
- Register your number on the National Do Not Call Registry at donotcall.gov.
- Use call blocking apps and enable spam filters through your phone carrier.
- Never confirm personal or financial details with unsolicited callers.
- Report scam calls to the Federal Trade Commission and Federal Communications Commission.
- Warn family members about current phone scams you encounter.
Trust your instincts if a call seems suspicious. Never provide sensitive information to any unknown caller. Being proactive is key to reducing unwanted calls and protecting your identity.
FAQs About 615-236-8788
Q: Is 615-236-8788 a real debt collector or government agency?
A: No, scammers spoof this number to impersonate agencies and businesses. Legitimate contacts will send mailed notices first.
Q: Can I get in legal trouble for not paying scammers calling from 615-236-8788?
A: No, you cannot get arrested or face legal consequences for not paying scammers. Their threats are false.
Q: How do I block calls from 615-236-8788?
A: Contact your phone carrier about call blocking tools or use third party call blocking apps. You can block specific numbers.
Q: What should I do if I already paid scammers calling from 615-236-8788?
A: Contact your bank immediately and report the fraud to your local police department. Monitor accounts closely for further suspicious activity.
Q: Why do I keep getting so many robocalls?
A: Scammers and telemarketers use autodialers to make millions of random calls in hopes of reaching victims. But you can take action to reduce calls.